[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Smart Fine Print

At 12:24 AM 7/9/96 -0500, Michael Brennen wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Nick Szabo wrote:
>
>> The main thing offensive about cookies and cookie sharing is not that these
>> features link information about the user's usage patterns (some users care
>> about this, some don't) but that they undertake this important
>> activity without the user's knowledge or consent.
>
><much deleted>
>
>On a DOS/Windows machine it is easy to prevent cookies before they ever
>turn into dough.  :)
>
>Just edit the cookies.txt file to be empty (or delete it and touch it),
>then set the read only attribute on the file.

But then you don't get to take advantage of the good uses of cookies.  It's
nice , sometimes, to have sites recognize users.  If you really wanted to
keep doubleclick cookies out, you could create dummy entries in the
cookie.txt for the site, up to the maximum number per site.  But this seems
like way too much work.  Just set netscape's "Ask me before setting a
cookie" and decide whether or not you like it.
--
Jonathan Cardozo
cardozo@roguewave.com